Sunday, September 25, 2011

Day 23 - Salzburg Alt Stadt and Hohensalzburg Fortress

Day 23 (Sept. 25th) - Today, we toured Salzburg's Old City (Alt Stadt) and went up to see the Hohensalzburg Fortress.


We were fortunate there was a festival going at Moazartplatz.  We were able to get lunch at the some of the outside food vendors.

Lunch at the festival

Mozartplatz during the festival
When I was here 31 years ago with my Aunt Bonnie and Cousin Sue, we tried Mozart Balls.  I purchased 6 of these for all of us to try during a break at the fortress.

Mozart Ball

Enjoying Mozart Balls at the Hohensalzburg Fortress
Hohensalzburg Fortress

Ben and the girls along the fortress wall

Leah and Elizabeth filling their water bottles from a fountain at Universitätplatz
Interestingly, we ran into a couple from Canada that had been on the Rothenburg tour with us.  They remembered our four girls when we crossed paths at the fortress.  Even more interesting, we saw them again when we were walking down Getreidegasse street.

We came across a photo studio that does old fashioned photos.  The girls got dressed up and had two photos taken.

Sarah and Leah waiting for the photo shoot

Elizabeth before the photo shoot
Unfortunately, Ruth Ann lost her camera bag with her spare battery at the fortress.  It just rolled over the side of the wall.  It was way too high up for anyone to retrieve them.  It reminded of my trip 31 years ago with my Aunt Bonnie and Cousin Sue.  Poor Sue's camera also accidentally fell over the side of the wall, but we were able to retrieve it back then.

6 comments:

hannahdurrett said...

Love the dresses!

-Hannah Durrett

godgoggles said...

What does a MozartBall taste like? Is it chocolate? (You know how I feel about chocolate, so if it is, it will make my mouth water.)
-Olivia B.
(Miss you guys... wait, I say that on pretty much every post. Well, I guess that's because I really miss you guys!)

Ben, Renae, Ruth, Sarah, Leah and Elizabeth said...

They taste really good, chocolate and carmel. Some have pistachio in the middle. Sarah B.

Unknown said...

I also visited the same photo studio and took photos of my daughter. But unfortunately we lost the print outs. Does anybody knows the contact or email of the studio? It will help us taking a copy of old memory.

Ben, Renae, Ruth, Sarah, Leah and Elizabeth said...

Unfortunately, we didn't get any address information about the shop. I suggest trying to google it.

Ben, Renae, Ruth, Sarah, Leah and Elizabeth said...

Unfortunately, we didn't get any address information about the shop. I suggest trying to google it.