Thursday, September 22, 2011

Neuschwanstein

Day 20 (Sept. 22nd) – This will be a quick post. 


I only have a ½ hour of internet time left and my laptop battery is on one bar—and it’s cold on this picnic bench outside the main building of the campground for Oberammergau.  (This is the only spot I can get an internet connection)

This morning Ruth, Sarah, Leah and I took a walk on the banks of the lake Forggensee.  The Bavarian countryside is incredibly idyllic. In my heart, I know I was meant to be born in Bavaria.  The cows quietly munching grass in the pasture with lake next to us and Neuschwanstein in the distance on the mountain.  Ruth was able to coax a duck out of the water, which then followed her on land for over 100 feet.

We left our campground and took the tour of Neuschwanstein built by Mad King Ludwig and Hohenschwangau where he grew up.  The walks up to both castles were quite strenuous.  This being Germany we were assigned 2 times to take the tour of each castle.  We had about 2 ½ hours between tours so we had wursts and schnitzel at an outside café near the castles.

After that we drove to Oberammergau where the Passion play is conducted every 10 years.  This is a quaint little town with paintings of the passion of Christ on the walls of the houses.  After a quick run around the town, Renae & I went grocery shopping.  We then found our campground.

2 comments:

godgoggles said...

I always knew Ruth was meant to be a Duck Whisperer. Do you think she could come over to our house when you guys come back and train our duck to be nice?
-Olivia B.

Ben, Renae, Ruth, Sarah, Leah and Elizabeth said...

This is Ruth's dad-it was really incredible to watch this little duck follow her for so far. It really reminded me of the book, "Are you my mother?"